“This scholarship reaches beyond Montana’s borders to the best and brightest Horatio Alger Scholars nationwide.”
– Mike Halligan, Executive Director, Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation
Endowed in 2008, Dennis Washington Leadership Scholarship, formerly the Dennis R. Washington Achievement Graduate Scholarship, provides financial assistance to State and National Horatio Alger Scholar Alumni who have exhibited leadership, integrity, entrepreneurial skills, and perseverance in overcoming personal adversity, and who aspire to pursue a graduate level education. The program awards scholarships annually to deserving National or State Horatio Alger Scholar Alumni who are working towards a post-graduate degree in an eligible field.
Graduate Scholarship Recipients
Dennis Washington Leadership Scholarship Recipients Receive:
- A scholarship of up to $120,000.
- In good standing with the Association as a State or National Horatio Alger Scholar
- Have completed an undergraduate degree program with a minimum grade point average of 3.0
- Accepted into a Master’s or Doctoral program at an accredited university located in the United States or Canada
- Provide evidence of leadership skills and civic/community involvement
- Submit academic record, test scores, and academic references
- Write essay(s) on the reasons for pursuing a graduate degree and aspirations upon its completion, and how his/her life to date is contributing to the mission and goals of the Horatio Alger Association
- Be a citizen of the United States of America or Canada
- Provide resume including employment history, academic achievements, and two professional/academic references
- Applicants must be working toward a post-graduate degree in an eligible field
The 2018 application is closed. The Dennis Washington Leadership Scholarship application and qualifications are available online at application.horatioalger.org from September 15 – November 15 for students enrolled in a graduate program for the following academic year. All personal interviews will take place in January in San Diego, Calif.