Scholarship Recipients Will Receive Up to $15,000
Over 4 Years Seniors at Montana high schools who want to go to college now have more help in reaching that goal.
The program, administered by the Horatio Alger Association, is specifically for students who have confronted and overcome adversity in their young lives. Students from across Montana will be selected to each receive a $15,000 scholarship and have the honor of being named as a Horatio Alger Montana Scholar.
Pictured: Brooke Reed (Top) and Faith Wells (Bottom), Horatio Alger Montana Undergraduate Scholars
Scholarships can be utilized to pursue higher education at the University of Montana, Montana State University, or one of their affiliates:
University of Montana Western
Missoula College – University of Montana
Helena College – University of Montana
Montana Technological University in Butte
Montana State University Billings
Montana State University Northern
Great Falls College – Montana State University
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the scholarship application submission deadline?
The submission deadline to apply for the Horatio Alger Montana Undergraduate Scholarship Program is March 15th.
How do I apply for the scholarship?
Applications are submitted only via the Horatio Alger Association’s application page during the window of December 1 to March 15.
If you have previously submitted an application to Horatio Alger for their National Scholarship, your application will automatically be considered for the Horatio Alger Dennis & Phyllis Washington Undergraduate Scholarship.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- BE ENROLLED FULL TIME AS A HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR IN MONTANA, progressing toward graduation in Spring/Summer 2024, with plans to enter a college in the Montana University System no later than the fall following graduation.
- BE INVOLVED in co-curricular, after school, or community activities.
- DEMONSTRATE CRITICAL FINANCIAL NEED. Students of families who are eligible for the Pell Grant are strongly encouraged to apply.
- DISPLAY INTEGRITY AND PERSEVERANCE in overcoming adversity.
- BE A UNITED STATES CITIZEN.
- PURSUE & COMPLETE A BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN THE MONTANA UNIVERSITY SYSTEM. Students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution. Eligible Institutions Include:
What universities participate in this scholarship program?
The University of Montana, or one of its afﬁliates:
- Helena College
- Missoula College
- University of Montana Western (Dillon)
- Montana Technological University (Butte)
Montana State University, or one of its afﬁliates:
- Great Falls College – Montana State University
- Montana State University Billings
- Montana State University Northern (Havre)
What are the requirements to maintain the scholarship once awarded?
All recipients must maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 to keep their scholarship.
It is our long-standing belief that education is the single most powerful determinant in the future of our society. The Foundation funds scholarship programs to support higher education, and our offerings run the gamut from two-year programs to the undergraduate and graduate levels.