Facts and statistics about the Foundation
- Founded in 1988 as the major philanthropic organization for the Washington Companies and the Washington family.
- The Foundation is a Section 501(c)(3) tax exempt private foundation.
- The Foundation is funded by the profits of the Washington Companies and personal contributions from the Washington family.
- The Foundation’s mission is: “Investing in people to improve the quality of their lives.”
- The Foundation’s primary tool to accomplish its mission is through grants to eligible nonprofit organizations in the following four categories: education, health and human services, community service, and arts and culture.
- Our preference is to fund direct service organizations that provide programs and services to economically and socially disadvantaged individuals and their families.
- The Foundation places a special emphasis on education and helping disadvantaged youth realize the dream of attaining a higher education.
- Annually, the Foundation awards over 350 scholarships to students attending Montana’s colleges and universities.
- In 1995, Mr. Washington was inducted into the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans, in recognition of achievements in his own life.
- The Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation Horatio Alger scholarship programs strive to provide educational opportunity to underprivileged Montana youth who have displayed academic promise, community involvement, and the ability to persevere in the face of adversity.
- The term Washington Companies refers to the association of separate business entities in which Montana businessman Dennis R. Washington holds a significant ownership position.
- The Washington Companies are headquartered throughout the United States and western Canada and conduct business internationally.
- The Washington Companies are involved in rail transportation, marine transportation, environmental remediation and restoration, mining, heavy equipment sales, aviation technology and real estate development.
Federal Tax Document Disclosures
- Form 1023 is available for inspection at the Foundation offices by the general public. Copies are free of charge.
- Form 990-PF for prior tax years is available for inspection at the Foundation offices upon request.